This special limited edition embossed and spot gloss slipcover (designed by Robert Sammelin) is limited to 2,000 units and is only available on our website and at select indie retailers. Absolutely no major retailers will be stocking them.
From arthouse to Canuxploitation, Canadian International Pictures (CIP) is devoted to resurrecting vital, distinctive, and overlooked triumphs of Canadian cinema. This label is focused on the country’s original cinematic boom years – spanning the ’60s, ’70s, and ’80s – occasionally venturing past that period (and the country’s borders) to highlight the films of Canada’s most inspired actors and filmmakers. Vinegar Syndrome’s sister company, OCN Distribution, is thrilled to be representing CIP's brand new line of home video releases!
The war is on for brain control.
In the long shadow of an experimental CIA mind control program, Sergeant Kellen O'Reilly (Total Recall’s Michael Ironside) begins experiencing violent flashbacks of his “treatments” at the hands of the sinister Dr. Satorius (The Silent Partner’s Christopher Plummer). When the body count on his latest case inexplicably begins pointing toward his own fragmented past, a romance with Satorius’ criminal prosecutor (Class of 1984’s Lisa Langlois) raises the stakes. O'Reilly must forge a path forward through a hall-of-mirrors conspiracy stretching from the Mafia to the highest levels of the CIA, culminating in a shocking, stadium-sized confrontation.
Made by a supergroup of Canadian genre filmmakers, including George Mihalka (My Bloody Valentine) and Tom Berry (The Amityville Curse) – who joined forces to develop the script with novelist William Deverell – Mindfield was eventually brought to the screen by Canuxploitation master Jean-Claude Lord (The Vindicator). The result is a uniquely ambitious experiment in genre filmmaking that’s part explosive action movie, part MK-ULTRA-inspired conspiracy thriller, and part sleazy underworld crime saga. Reuniting Lord with his Visiting Hours leading man, Mindfield emerges as one of Michael Ironside’s standout star vehicles.
directed by: Jean-Claude Lord
starring: Michael Ironside, Lisa Langlois, Christopher Plummer, Harvey Atkin, Eugene Clark, Howard Jerome, Robert Morelli, Jacob Tierney, Stefan Wodoslawsky
1989 / 91 min / 1.85:1 / English DTS-HD MA 2.0
- Region A Blu-ray
- Scanned and restored in 2K from the 35mm interpositive by Éléphant - mémoire du cinéma québécois with sound transferred and restored from the original 35mm magnetic final mix
- Audio commentary featuring Paul Corupe of Canuxploitation.com and film historian Jason Pichonsky
- Mind Meld (2022, 12 min.) - An interview with original director George Mihalka
- Open Mind (2022, 12 min.) - An interview with producer Tom Berry
- Mind Games (2022, 10 min.) - An interview with actress Lisa Langlois
- Lisa’s Directors (2022, 18 min.) - Langlois reflects on 12 memorable collaborations
- Theatrical trailer
- Booklet featuring a tribute to Jean-Claude Lord by Fantasia programmer Marc Lamothe
- Reversible cover artwork
- Alternate French language audio track
- English SDH subtitles