We're excited to finally reveal our second VSU release: Lance Mungia's late 90s iconic midnight movie/video store classic, SIX-STRING SAMURAI! This loaded Limited Edition 4k UHD/BD box includes a brand new, extended making-of documentary featuring new interviews with cast and crew and is housed in our gorgeous deluxe VSU case with incredible custom artwork by Tom Hodge of The Dude Designs. The case includes a 40-page book with essays by the director and a custom slipcover designed by Richard Hilliard.
In 1957, after nuclear war with the Russians, America has become a post-apocalyptic wasteland where Rockabilly reigns supreme and Elvis is the true King. 40 years later, the King has fallen and society needs a new leader. Buddy, a katana wielding guitarist, travels to the city of Lost Vegas where he is determined to prove himself as the new King of Rock and Roll. On his journey, Buddy is confronted by a murderous array of musical outlaws including cannibals, Russians, and even Death himself. Buddy must use both his music and martial arts skills in order to defeat his foes, but his biggest challenge comes in the form of a young orphan boy who won't leave his side after being rescued from bandits. Will the boy be Buddy's downfall or his salvation...?
A midnight movie sensation of the late 90s, Lance Mungia's SIX-STRING SAMURAI is a wild blend of samurai film, spaghetti western, and post-apocalyptic road film, all mixed with a cool 1950s Rockabilly vibe. Written by and starring trained martial artist Jeffrey Falcon and featuring an original score by the cult band The Red Elvises, Vinegar Syndrome is delighted to bring SIX-STRING SAMURAI to Blu-ray and 4K Ultra HD for the first time, newly restored from its 35mm original camera negative and featuring a wide array of newly produced extras, including an extended making-of documentary!
directed by: Lance Mungia
starring: Jeffrey Falcon, Justin McGuire, Kim De Angelo, Stephane Gauger, Clifford Hugo
1998 / 91 min / 1.85:1 / English 5.1 Surround
• VSU exclusive ‘ultra’ high-end magnet clasp box, containing the slipcovered 2-disc set and a 40-page book. Case artwork designed by Tom Hodge of The Dude Designs. Box designed and patented by VS.
• Region Free 4K Ultra HD / Blu-ray Set
• 4k UHD presented in High-Dynamic-Range
• Newly scanned & restored in 4k from it’s 35mm original camera negative
• Brand new commentary track with director Lance Mungia and cinematographer Kristian Bernier
• Brand new commentary track with director Lance Mungia
• “VEGAS NEEDS A NEW KING: THE MAKING OF SIX-STRING SAMURAI” - a brand new extended length making-of documentary directed by Elijah Drenner and Lance Mungia
• "Garden of Rio" - short film directed by Lance Mungia
• Extensive stills gallery
• 40-page book featuring essays by director Lance Mungia
• Reversible cover artwork
• English SDH subtitles