Note: This listing is for the standard edition Blu-ray. The limited edition slipcover variants (designed by Earl Kessler Jr. and Tom Hodge) were limited to 4,000 units each and are sold out. The standard edition is identical, aside from the slipcover.
Eric Binford lives for, and if he could have it his way ‘in’, the movies. He works at a 35mm print depot as a delivery boy, but spends all of his free time watching classic films and collecting Hollywood memorabilia. Endlessly tormented by his colleagues, Eric drifts further and further into a dream world wherein he embodies the silver screen characters he so deeply worships. However, when the teasing pushes him too far, he snaps and literally goes into character, donning the outfits of his big screen idols and slowly but surely killing off his tormentors in outrageous recreations of his favorite film scenes...
A slasher that’s profoundly infused with cinephilia and old Hollywood iconography from its first frame to its last, Vernon Zimmerman’s (Bobby Jo and the Outlaw) FADE TO BLACK is an often haunting examination of the terror that can occur when fantasy and reality collide. Starring Dennis Christopher (Breaking Away, the original ‘It') alongside Mickey Rourke (The Wrestler), and featuring cinematography by Álex Phillips Jr. (Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia), FADE TO BLACK is a masterpiece of psychological horror that’s making its long overdue, worldwide Blu-ray debut from Vinegar Syndrome in a new 4K restoration of recently uncovered 35mm negative elements.
Directed by: Vernon Zimmerman
Starring: Dennis Christopher, Linda Kerridge, Mickey Rourke, Norman Burton, Gwynne Gilford, Tim Thomerson
1980 / 102 min / 1.85:1 / English
• Region Free Blu-ray
• Newly scanned & restored in 4k from 35mm negative elements
• Commentary track with lead actor Dennis Christopher
• Commentary track with The Hysteria Continues!
• Historical commentary track with film historians Amanda Reyes and Bill Ackerman
• “Living & Dying for the Movies” - an interview with lead actor Dennis Christopher
• “Celluloid Heroes” - an interview with executive producer Irwin Yablans
• “Taking the Hits” - an interview with special effects artist Wayne Beauchamp
• “A Shiny Quality” - an interview with actress Marcie Barkin
• “Experimenting with Sound” - an interview with composer Craig Safan
• “Finishing the Story” - an interview with editor Barbara Pokras
• “A Brush with Darkness” - an interview with stylist Patricia Bunch
• Audio interview with lead actress Linda Kerridge
• Still Gallery
• Original theatrical trailer
• Reversible cover artwork
• English SDH subtitles