This special limited edition embossed and spot gloss slipcover (designed by Robert Sammelin) is limited to 5,000 units and is only available here at VinegarSyndrome.com!
Fong Sau Ching is the Chief Royal Guard during the Ming Dynasty, whose job is to protect the Emperor at all costs, including with his own life. One day, Ching discovers that one of his men, Fung San, is a sadistic rapist with a penchant for murdering his victims by breaking their limbs. After Fung San attacks the Princess and several other women, Ching is tasked by the Emperor with hunting down and killing him in order to restore his own honor. However, things take an unexpected turn when the two men come face-to-face for a duel to the death, only to become literally frozen in time by a mystical device known as the "Wheel of Life and Death." 300 years later, in modern Hong Kong, Ching and Fung San are accidentally thawed out. Unfamiliar with his surroundings, Ching struggles to adapt to his strange new environment and soon finds himself at the mercy of an obnoxious call girl named Polly while attempting to continue to search for Fung San, but little does he know that Fung San is adapting quite nicely to both the weapons and crime ridden modern world and is beginning to resume his murderous ways.
Featuring an awesome, action-packed final face-off that ranks amongst the most over the top in Hong Kong cinema, Clarence Fok's (The Naked Killer) THE ICEMAN COMETH skillfully combines daring action set pieces with fantasy and horror elements, all wrapped in a comedic "fish out of water" scenario. Packed with memorable and death defying stunt work, including a fight on top of a jeep hanging from a construction crane, and starring Hong Kong action superstar Yeun Biao (Righting Wrongs), legendary stuntman Yeun Wah (Rendezvous With Death) and acclaimed actress Maggie Cheug (In The Mood For Love), Vinegar Syndrome is proud to present this piece of genre defying Hong Kong cinema, complete with sword fights, gunplay, and a healthy dose of dark and mystical elements.
directed by: Clarence Fok
starring: Yuen Biao, Yuen Wah, Maggie Cheung
Hong Kong Cut: 115 min / 1989 / 1.85:1 / Cantonese Mono & 2 English Dub Tracks
Mandarin Export Cut: 122 min / 1989 / 1.85:1 / Mandarin Mono
- 2-disc Region A Blu-ray Set
- Studio supplied master with additional color grading and restoration performed by VS
- The 115 minute 'Hong Kong Cut' is presented with the following mono soundtrack options: Cantonese original language with newly translated English subtitles and two English dub soundtracks (original and a late-period redub)
- Alternate 122 minute 'Mandarin Export Cut' is presented with it's original mono soundtrack with newly translated English subtitles
- Commentary track with film historian & author Samm Deighan
- “Frame by Frame, Frame by Frame” - a brand new interview with cinematographer Poon Hang Sang
- “Warrior Prince” - an interview with actor Yuen Biao
- “Nemesis” - an interview with actor Yuen Wah
- Hong Kong Trailer
- English Language Trailer
- Alternate English title sequence
- Booklet with essay by film historian and author John Charles
- Reversible cover artwork
- Newly translated English subtitles