This listing is for the standard edition Blu-ray release. The limited edition hardbox (designed by Robert Sammelin) was limited to 5,000 units and is sold out. The two versions are identical, aside from the packaging.
Enid Baines, a film screener at the BBFC, has earned an unsavory reputation for being the organization's strictest censors of violent films. Unexpectedly, Enid is contacted by Frederick North, a notorious director of exceptionally brutal, low budget horror movies, who has requested that she personally review his work for classification. While viewing one of North’s films, Enid is struck by its narrative similarities to the disappearance of her own sister years earlier. But when she finds another of North’s films which stars a woman who bares a striking resemblance to her sister, Enid’s life begins spiraling out of control, sending her on a mysterious and terrifying journey into the dark and violent recesses of her past.
The acclaimed feature film directing debut of Prano Bailey-Bond, CENSOR is a scathing indictment of Britain’s notorious Video Nasty era, imagined as a horror film that’s every bit as brutal and twisted as the Nasties themselves. Exquisitely photographed on 35mm by Annika Summerson and featuring an electrifying score by Emilie Levienaise-Farrouch, Vinegar Syndrome Pictures proudly presents CENSOR in its Blu-ray debut, with extensive bonus features including Bailey-Bond’s earlier short film, NASTY.
directed by: Prano Bailey-Bond
starring: Niamh Algar, Michael Smiley, Nicholas Burns, Sophia La Porta
2021 / 84 min / 2.39:1 / English 5.1 Surround
- Region A Blu-ray
- Commentary with director Prano Bailey-Bond and cinematographer Annika Summerson
- Commentary with historian and author Kat Ellinger
- Interview with director Prano Bailey-Bond and actress Niamh Algar
- Interview with cinematographer Annika Summerson
- Interview with editor Mark Towns
- Interview with sound designer Tim Harrison
- Interview with composer Emilie Levienaise-Farrouch
- Short film NASTY directed by Prano Bailey-Bond
- Video essay by Chris O'Neill
- "My Nasty Memories" - a featurette with David Gregory on Video Nasties
- "Ban the Sadist Videos!" - a two part feature length documentary about Video Nasties
- Theatrical trailer for CENSOR
- 16-page booklet with essay by Alexandra Heller-Nicholas
- Reversible cover artwork
- English SDH subtitles