Welcome to the Vinegar Syndrome Staff Picks section, where we highlight our favorite releases from the many other fine labels releasing films on home video. This section, which will be updated semi regularly, features an array of crucial genre films, which no home library should be without.
Since our inception, Vinegar Syndrome, through our sister lab, OCN Digital Labs, has had the honor of working on dozens of restorations for some of the best home video distributors in the business. As well as being selected as a 'Staff Picks' title, we were also involved with this film's digital restoration in some combination of scanning, restoration and/or color correction. Films that we have worked on will be tagged with the 'Lab Work' label.
MARI, SEVENTEEN, IS DYING. EVEN FOR HER THE WORST IS YET TO COME!
The directorial debut of Wes Craven, the man behind such horror favorites as A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Hills Have Eyes and Scream, The Last House on the Left justly retains its reputation as one of the most harrowing cinematic experiences of all time, nearly half a century on from its original release.
On the eve of her 17th birthday, Mari and friend Phyllis set off from her family home to the big city to attend a concert by shock-rockers Bloodlust. Attempting to pick up some marijuana on the way, the pair run afoul of a group of vicious crooks, headed up by the sadistic and depraved Krug (David Hess). Gagged and bound, the young women are bundled into a car trunk and driven to the woods, where the gang subject them to a terrifying ordeal of sexual humiliation, torture and murder.
Unleashed on an unsuspecting public in 1972, The Last House on the Left shocked audiences with its graphic and unflinching portrayal of interpersonal violence, paving the way for a whole host of cheap imitators looking to capitalize on its success. It is Wes Craven's original alone, however, that remains one of the true watershed moments in horror (and indeed, film) history.
3-DISC LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS:
- Three cuts of the film newly restored in 2K from original film elements
- Original Uncompressed Mono Audio
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- 6 x lobby card reproductions
- Double-sided poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork
- Limited edition 60 page perfect-bound book featuring new writing on the film by author Stephen Thrower
DISC ONE [BLU-RAY] – THE UNRATED CUT:
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the Unrated Version
- Isolated score newly remastered from the original 17.5" magnetic tracks
- Brand new audio commentary by podcasters Bill Ackerman and Amanda Reyes
- Archival audio commentary with writer/director Wes Craven and producer Sean S. Cunningham
- Archival audio commentary with stars David Hess, Marc Sheffler and Fred Lincoln
- Archival introduction to the film by Wes Craven
- Still Standing: The Legacy of The Last House on The Left – archival interview with Wes Craven
- Celluloid Crime of the Century – archival documentary featuring interviews with Wes Craven, Sean S. Cunningham, actors David Hess, Fred Lincoln, Jeramie Rain, Marc Sheffler and Martin Kove
- Scoring Last House on the Left – archival interview with actor/composer David Hess
- It's Only a Movie: The Making of The Last House on the Left – archival documentary
- Forbidden Footage – the cast and crew of Last House on the film’s most controversial sequences
- Junior’s Story – a brand new interview with actor Marc Sheffler
- Blood and Guts- a brand new interview with makeup artist Anne Paul
- The Road Leads to Terror - a brand new featurette revisiting the film's original shooting locations
- Deleted Scene - Mari Dying at the Lake
- Extended Outtakes and Dailies , newly transferred in HD
- Trailers, TV Spot & Radio Spots
- Image Galleries
DISC TWO [BLU-RAY] – THE KRUG & COMPANY & R-RATED CUTS:
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the Krug and Company and R-rated cuts of the film
- The Craven Touch – brand new featurette bringing together interviews with a number of Wes Craven’s collaborators, including Sean S. Cunningham, composer Charles Bernstein, producer Peter Locke, cinematographer Mark Irwin and actress Amanda Wyss
- Early Days and 'Night of Vengeance' – filmmaker Roy Frumkes remembers Wes Craven and Last House on the Left
- Tales That'll Tear Your Heart Out – excerpts from an unfinished Wes Craven short
- Q&A with Marc Sheffler from a 2017 screening of the film at The American Cinematheque
- Krug Conquers England - archival featurette charting the theatrical tour of the first ever uncut screening of the film in the UK
DISC THREE [CD] – 'THE LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT' ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK:
- CD featuring the complete, newly remastered film score