Welcome to the Vinegar Syndrome Staff Picks section, where we highlight our favorite releases from the many other fine labels releasing films on home video. This section, which will be updated semi regularly, features an array of crucial genre films, which no home library should be without.
Ed Wood was the filmmaker behind PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE, the author of hundreds of adult novels, and a pall-bearer at Bela Lugosi’s funeral. Wood fought in the Pacific Ocean theater during World War II while wearing a bra and panties under his uniform. Basically, there will never be another hero like Ed Wood. And there will never be another movie like TAKE IT OUT IN TRADE. Unseen for almost fifty years, this is a surreal sexploitation detective comedy that would feel right at home on a triple-bill with John Waters’s MULTIPLE MANIACS and Russ Meyer’s THE IMMORAL MR. TEAS. With delirious narration by Wood himself, positive depictions of LGBTQ relationships, and a miraculous role by Ed Wood in drag as “Alecia,” TAKE IT OUT IN TRADE is a joyous swan song from one of the most seminal exploitation filmmakers of all time.
- New 2K preservation from the only 16mm theatrical print in existence!
- Commentary track with filmmaker Frank Henenlotter (BASKET CASE), Ed Wood biographer Rudolph Grey, and AGFA’s Joseph A. Ziemba!
- TAKE IT OUT IN TRADE: THE OUTTAKES, 70 minutes of unseen footage scanned in 2K!
- Exclusive liner notes by Ed Wood biographer Rudolph Grey!
- Bonus movie: THE LOVE FEAST (1969) starring Ed Wood, scanned in 2K from an original 35mm theatrical print!
- Reversible cover art!