Welcome to the Vinegar Syndrome Staff Picks section, where we highlight our favorite releases from the many other fine labels releasing films on home video. This section, which will be updated semi regularly, features an array of crucial genre films, which no home library should be without.
A dark and haunting study in psychological horror, Symptoms takes us deep into the twisted mind of a damaged girl.
Helen, who lives alone, invites her new friend Anne to stay with her in a lonely house, lost in the English countryside. The house, the woods that surround it and the figures fleetingly glimpsed through its windows, all seem imbued with a deep sense of mystery. Helen appears to be hiding a secret and the more Anne tries to uncover it, the deeper she is pulled into its dark heart.
Symptoms was the official UK entry to the Cannes film festival in 1974 and was highly praised at the time. Subsequently the film sank into obscurity and was recently listed as one of the UK’s top 75 “lost films”. This release, taken from the original negative and fully restored, brings this quiet masterpiece back into view, where it can now be appreciated as one of the most under rated films of the 1970s.
- Blu-Ray All Region
- On Vampyres and Other Symptoms – documentary about Jose Larraz directed by Celia Novis
- From Barcelona to Tunbridge Wells – TV profile of Jose Larraz
- Interview with editor Brian Smedley-Aston
- Interview with Angela Pleasence
- Interview with Lorna Heilbron
- Specially commissioned artwork by Gilles Vranckx