Welcome to the Vinegar Syndrome Staff Picks section, where we highlight our favorite releases from the many other fine labels releasing films on home video. This section, which will be updated semi regularly, features an array of crucial genre films, which no home library should be without.
Since our inception, Vinegar Syndrome, through our sister lab, OCN Digital Labs, has had the honor of working on dozens of restorations for some of the best home video distributors in the business. As well as being selected as a 'Staff Picks' title, we were also involved with this film's digital restoration in some combination of scanning, restoration and/or color correction. Films that we have worked on will be tagged with the 'Lab Work' label.
A Brand New 4K Restoration! He's pure evil... pure power... pure terror! RawHead Rex is a demon, alive for millennia, trapped in the depths of hell, and waiting for release. He is held by an ancient seal, imprisoned for centuries in a barren field near the hamlet of Rathmore, Ireland. In time, this gruesome legacy has been forgotten, dismissed as an odd pre-Christian myth until Tom Garron (Donal McCann, December Bride) decides to plow the field his ancestors knew better than to disturb. The seal is broken and an unspeakable evil is unleashed - on a rampage of blood and lust. Howard Hallenbeck (David Dukes, Gods and Monsters), an American historian on a working vacation with his family, discovers on the stained glass windows of a local church a series of scenes illustrating the reign of terror of RawHead Rex, but the one piece of glass depicting the defeat of the monster is missing. RawHead Rex is on the loose, and he is insatiable as Howard is desperately races against time for a way to stop the vicious monster. Directed by George Pavlou (Transmutations) with a screenplay by horror legend Clive Barker (Hellraiser, Candyman, Nightbreed, Lord of Illusions).
- Brand New 4K Restoration - From the Original Camera Negative
- Audio Commentary with Director George Pavlou, Moderated by Stephen Thrower, the Author of Nightmare USA: The Untold Story of the Exploitation Independents, Murderous Passions; The Delirious Cinema of Jesús Franco and Beyond Terror: The Films of Lucio Fulci
- Interview with Actor Heinrich von Bünau (Rawhead Rex)
- Interview with Actor Ronan Wilmot (Declan O'Brien)
- Interview with SFX/MU Crew Members Gerry Johnston (SFX Supervisor), Peter Mackenzie Litten (SFX Creature Effects), John Schoonraad (SFX Mould Maker) & Rosie Blackmore (Makeup Artist)
- Interview with Cameraman Sean Corcoran
- Interview with Stephen R. Bissette, co-creator of John Constantine, instructor at the Center for Cartoon Studies
- Booklet Essay by Film Historian Kat Ellinger
- Animated Behind-the-Scenes Image Gallery
- Limited Edition Slipcase of the New Poster Art by Sean Phillips
- Reversible Art
- 5.1 Surround Audio
- Original Theatrical Trailer
Actors: David Dukes, Kelly Piper, Niall Toibin, Ronan Wilmot, Niall O'Brien
Directors: George Pavlou, Clive Barker
Format: Anamorphic, NTSC, Subtitled, Surround Sound, Widescreen
Number of discs: 1
Studio: Kino Classics
DVD Release Date: October 17, 2017
Run Time: 89 minutes