Welcome to the Vinegar Syndrome Staff Picks section, where we highlight our favorite releases from the many other fine labels releasing films on home video. This section, which will be updated semi regularly, features an array of crucial genre films, which no home library should be without.
Since our inception, Vinegar Syndrome, through our sister lab, OCN Digital Labs, has had the honor of working on dozens of restorations for some of the best home video distributors in the business. As well as being selected as a 'Staff Picks' title, we were also involved with this film's digital restoration in some combination of scanning, restoration and/or color correction. Films that we have worked on will be tagged with the 'Lab Work' label.
MEET THE MANIAC & HIS FRIEND.
Nearly a decade before he donned Freddy Krueger’s famous red and green sweater, horror icon Robert Englund delivered a supremely sleazy performance in Eaten Alive – another essay in taut Southern terror from Tobe Hooper, director of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre.
Deep in the Louisiana bayou sits the ramshackle Starlight Hotel, destination of choice for those who like to check in but not check out! Bumbling Judd, the patron of this particular establishment, may seem like a good-natured ol’ Southern gent – but he has a mean temper on him, and a mighty large scythe to boot…
Oozing atmosphere from its every pore (the entire film was shot on a sound-stage which lends it a queasy, claustrophobic feel), Eaten Alive matches The Texas Chain Saw Massacre for sheer insanity – helped in no small part by some marvellous histrionics from Chain Saw star Marilyn Burns and William Finley (Phantom of the Paradise).
DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
- Brand new 2K restoration of the film from the original camera negative, approved by director Tobe Hooper
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
- Original Mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Audio commentary with co-writer and producer Mardi Rustam, actors Roberta Collins, William Finley and Kyle Richards, and make-up artist Craig Reardon
- New introduction to the film by Hooper
- Blood on the Bayou – a brand new interview with Hooper
- Gator Bait – a brand new interview with star Janus Blythe
- Monsters and Metaphors – a brand new interview with make-up artist Craig Reardon
- The Gator Creator – an archive interview with Hooper
- My Name is Buck – an archive interview with star Robert Englund
- 5ive Minutes with Marilyn Burns – the Texas Chain Saw star discusses her role in Eaten Alive
- The Butcher of Elmendorf: The Legend of Joe Ball – featurette looking at the true-life story of the South Texas bar owner on whom Eaten Alive is loosely based
- Original theatrical trailers for the film under its various alternate titles: Eaten Alive, Death Trap, Starlight Slaughter and Horror Hotel
- TV and Radio Spots
- Alternate Opening Titles
- Behind the Scenes Slideshow
- Stills and Promo Material Gallery
- Audience Comment Cards
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gary Pullin
Cat No: FCD1122
Subtitles: English SDH
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
Audio: 1.0 PCMMono