Welcome to the Vinegar Syndrome Staff Picks section, where we highlight our favorite releases from the many other fine labels releasing films on home video. This section, which will be updated semi regularly, features an array of crucial genre films, which no home library should be without.
Since our inception, Vinegar Syndrome, through our sister lab, OCN Digital Labs, has had the honor of working on dozens of restorations for some of the best home video distributors in the business. As well as being selected as a 'Staff Picks' title, we were also involved with this film's digital restoration in some combination of scanning, restoration and/or color correction. Films that we have worked on will be tagged with the 'Lab Work' label.
In the mid-1970s, writer/producer/director/actor Frederick R. Friedel went to North Carolina to film a pair of enigmatic yet startling low-budget thrillers – AXE and KIDNAPPED CO-ED – only to see them both presumed lost to shady dealings, sudden tragedies, moral outrage and drive-in oblivion. In AXE, depraved killers on the run hold a young woman and her invalid grandfather hostage in an isolated farmhouse. In KIDNAPPED CO-ED, the teenage daughter of a wealthy family forms a perverse relationship with her abductor. Once thought doomed to drive-in obscurity, fans and grindhouse historians have begun to compare Freidel’s films to those of David Lynch and Terrence Malick, and now the complete story behind this strange journey can finally be told. Severin Films is proud to present both features restored from their original negatives, plus BLOODY BROTHERS, Friedel’s recut of the two features as one twisted crime epic called BLOODY BROTHERS, and loaded with exclusive Bonus Features that reveal the startling saga behind the casts, crews, disastrous fate and surprising rediscovery of these nearly forgotten grindhouse/arthouse classics – the ultimate look at one of the most fascinating sagas in indie exploitation history!
- Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Frederick R. Friedel, Production Manager Philip Smoot, Makeup Artist Worth Keeter & PA Richard W. Helms
- Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Frederick R. Friedel, Production Manager Philip Smoot & Makeup Artist Worth Keeter
- Audio Commentary with “Nightmare USA” Author Stephen Thrower
- At Last… Total Terror! – The Incredible True Story of AXE & KIDNAPPED COED (61 mins.)
- Moose Magic – The George Newman Shaw & John Willhelm Story (38 mins)
- Stephen Thrower on AXE & KIDNAPPED COED (10 mins)
- Trailers, TV Spots & Radio Spots
- Special Limited 2 Disc Edition comes with Audio CD of the first ever release of AXE & KIDNAPPED COED Original Motion Picture Soundtrack. Plus Bonus Tracks By Soundtrack Composers George Newman Shaw & John Willhelm