Welcome to the Vinegar Syndrome Staff Picks section, where we highlight our favorite releases from the many other fine labels releasing films on home video. This section, which will be updated semi regularly, features an array of crucial genre films, which no home library should be without.
It’s not human, and it’s got an axe! One of the most underrated efforts to hail from the slice-and-dice boom, The Prey at last emerges from the VHS wilderness in a brand new 2K restoration from the recently unearthed original camera negative.
Three young couples set off into the mountains for a weekend of climbing, drinking and lovemaking. But little do they know that they are stumbling into the terrain of a fearsome predator – a wild man, horrifically burned as a child many years ago in a fire which engulfed his gypsy camp and left only him alive. Now he roams the woods in search of his next human prey.
Filmed in 1979-1980 – making it a contemporary, rather than an imitator, of the likes of Friday the 13th – but not released until 1984 when it was picked up by New World Pictures, The Prey is a unique woodsy slasher gem ripe for reappraisal in this extras-packed, 40th anniversary edition!
LIMITED EDITION 2-DISC BLU-RAY CONTENTS
- Limited to 3,000 units
- Exclusive slipcover featuring original UK home video artwork
- Three versions of the feature: Original US Theatrical Cut, International Cut and Composite cut!
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
- Original uncompressed mono audio
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Reversible sleeve featuring newly commissioned artwork by Justin Osbourn
- Limited edition booklet featuring new writing on the film by Ewan Cant
DISC ONE – US THEATRICAL CUT
- Brand new 2K restoration of the filmmaker-approved US Theatrical Cut from the original camera negative
- Brand new audio commentary with producer Summer Brown
- Brand new audio commentary with Amanda Reyes and Ewan Cant
- Audio Interview with director Edwin Scott Brown
- Brand new on-camera interview with actress Debbie Thureson
- Brand new on-camera interview with actress Lori Lethin
- Brand new on-camera interview with actor Carel Struycken
- Brand new on-camera interview with actor Jackson Bostwick
- In Search of The Prey – Ewan Cant and actress Debbie Thureson revisit the original shooting locations in Idyllwild, California
- Q&A from Texas Frightmare Weekend 2019 with Lori Lethin, Carel Struycken and Jackson Bostwick
- Texas Frightmare Weekend 2019 Audience Reaction Track
- VHS Trailer and TV Spot
- Original Script (BD-ROM Content)
DISC TWO – INTERNATIONAL & COMPOSITE CUTS
- • Brand new 2K restoration of the International Cut featuring the infamous “gyspy flashback” footage, added at a later date by the producers without the approval of the original filmmakers
- Composite Cut combining footage from both the US Theatrical and International Cuts, for the ultimate The Prey fan experience!
- Extended Outtakes reel – 45 mins of never-before-seen outtakes