Welcome to the Vinegar Syndrome Staff Picks section, where we highlight our favorite releases from the many other fine labels releasing films on home video. This section, which will be updated semi regularly, features an array of crucial genre films, which no home library should be without.
Andrzej Zulawski’s La Note Bleue (The Blue Note) can be called an event. This is probably the first time that a director has, in all humility, treated the life of a composer – Chopin in this instance – without sacrificing any of his ambitions as a filmmaker. In others words, not for a single moment does he attempt to appropriate or put to his own use the music he is filming. He directs it, and perhaps illustrates it, but in no way reduces it.
In La Note Bleue the music therefore serves neither as an excuse nor as a foil. It quite simply is. Invisible by nature, and yet terribly present. Mazurka, Nocturne, Funeral March… Notes heard time and again, but which here regain all their strength, ardor, and virtuosity. New notes altogether, it might seem, and yet profoundly melancholy.
Paul Claudel declared ‘the eye can listen.’ La Note Bleue proves him to be right, whispering to us that the ‘ear can see.
MONDO VISION presents the first ever North American Blu-ray release of Andrzej Zulawski’s La Note Bleue (1991) in an all new 2K digital transfer supervised and approved by the director. UNCUT & Fully Uncensored. The film is presented in the original aspect ratio of 1.66:1 along with an uncompressed mono audio soundtrack. This Dual Layer disc has been transferred and encoded using a high-frequency process which preserves as much of the detail and texture from the original film as is possible on the Blu-ray format.
- EXTRAS: [4 Hrs. 29 Mins.] [All extras except commentary come with Optional English Subtitles in White or Yellow]
- Audio Commentary with Director Andrzej Zulawski [132min]
- Video Interview with Director Andrzej Zulawski [23min]
- Video Interview with Actress Mari-France Pisier [22min]
- Video Interview with Producer Marie-Laure Reyre [25min]
- Video Interview with Production Designer Jean-Vincent Puzos [53min]
- Andrzej Zulawski Trailer Reel [14min]
- PLUS: 24pg Commemorative Booklet – Featuring an Essay By Daniel Bird (2012)
- PACKAGING: This edition of La Note Bleue features a fully illustrated matte laminated 6pp foldout Digipak with heavy-duty 400gsm Hardcover Slipcase with wrap-around Belt and a pull-out Ribbon.
1. Original French Mono [dts-HD Master Audio]
2. Audio Commentary
Subtitles: English, Polish (optional, in White or Yellow)
Image Format: 1.66:1 Original Aspect Ratio
Disc Type: Dual Layer BD-50