Welcome to the Vinegar Syndrome Staff Picks section, where we highlight our favorite releases from the many other fine labels releasing films on home video. This section, which will be updated semi regularly, features an array of crucial genre films, which no home library should be without.
Susan, a young bride, travels with her husband to his family’s ancient manor house in the far north of Spain. Susan is a virgin and is very hesitant about her husband’s sexual demands. She is also disturbed about her unfamiliar surroundings and wonders if she will ever come to terms with her new married life. She is stocked to discover that all the old portraits of female members of her husband’s family have been locked away in the basement. When she finds them, she discovers that one of the portraits shows a woman holding a strange dagger. The woman’s face has been cut out of the painting. Her name is Mircala Karstien…
This atmospheric, gothic horror story is widely regarded as one of the best vampire films ever made. Controversial in its day for sexual content and for the extreme scenes of violence and gore, it was widely cut on original release. This brand new version restores the film to its intended length and includes alternate scenes that have never been made available before. This is the first Blu-ray release of an acknowledged classic, one of Quentin Tarantino’s favorite films and an influence on his own KILL BILL.
- Region free worldwide Blu-ray premiere
- Brand new 4K restoration from the original negative
- English and Spanish language tracks with optional English subtitles
- Audio commentary by Kat Ellinger and Samm Deighan from the Daughters of Darkness podcast
- Two-part interview with actor Simon Andreu
- Interview with cinematographer Fernando Arribas
- Interview with Jonathan Rigby, author of the book Euro Gothic: Classics of Continental Horror Cinema
- Three never-before-seen alternate scenes, and an alternate ending
- Multiple trailers and radio spots