Welcome to the Vinegar Syndrome Staff Picks section, where we highlight our favorite releases from the many other fine labels releasing films on home video. This section, which will be updated semi regularly, features an array of crucial genre films, which no home library should be without.
VERY STRICTLY LIMITED TO 1 PER PERSON.
MASSACRE MAFIA STYLE
Italian-American actor and nightclub singer Duke Mitchell wrote, produced, directed and starred in this homemade answer to THE GODFATHER, self-financed with earnings from his career as the self-proclaimed “Mr. Palm Springs.” Previously known for his Martin and Lewis act with Sammy Petrillo as seen in BELA LUGOSI MEETS A BROOKLYN GORILLA, Duke plays the ruthless son of a Mafia kingpin who blasts his way through Hollywood on a bloody crime spree. Promising “more guts, more action, more dynamite” than the Mario Puzo gangster classic, MASSACRE MAFIA STYLE delivers an onslaught of low-budget mayhem unlike anything you’ve ever seen. Grindhouse Releasing proudly presents the definitive release of the most violent movie ever made!
- 2 disc combo pack – Blu-ray + DVD
- Incredible new hi-definition digital restoration of the original director’s cut
- Stunning digital restoration of the original mono soundtrack
- Interviews with Jeffrey Mitchell, Frankie Ray, George Jacobs, Jim LoBianco, and exploitation legend Matt Cimber
- Almost one full hour of never-before-seen Duke Mitchell home movies
- Lost audio recording – Duke Mitchell Live in Concert, June 9, 1960
- Bonus TV special – AN IMPRESSIONISTIC TRIBUTE TO JIMMY DURANTE
- Extensive still galleries, radio spots, and theatrical trailer
- Glossy booklet containing liner notes by veteran cult movie journalist David Szulkin
- Spectacular new cover painting by renowned Los Angeles cult artist Dave Lebow
- AND OTHER SURPRISES!
- Disc produced by Bob Murawski (Academy Award-winning film editor of THE HURT LOCKER, Sam Raimi’s SPIDER-MAN trilogy and ARMY OF DARKNESS)
GONE WITH THE POPE
Lost for over 30 years, GONE WITH THE POPE stars famed nightclub performer Duke Mitchell as Paul, a paroled gangster with an unholy scheme: to kidnap the Pope and charge “a dollar from every Catholic in the world” as the ransom. Shot in 1975, GONE WITH THE POPE was unfinished at the time of Duke Mitchell’s death in 1981. Sage Stallone and Bob Murawski of Grindhouse Releasing rediscovered GONE WITH THE POPE in 1995 and vowed to save it from obscurity. Academy Award-winning film editor Murawski (THE HURT LOCKER, ARMY OF DARKNESS) spent 15 years completing GONE WITH THE POPE from the surviving film elements.
- Spectacular 2K digital restoration from the original 35mm camera negative
- Three stunning audio options – mono, stereo and 5.1 – mixed by Emmy award-winning mixer Marti Humphrey
- In-depth interviews with stars Jim LoBianco and John Murgia, cinematographer Peter Santoro, editors Bob Leighton and Robert Florio, and legendary exploitation producer/director Matt Cimber
- Footage from the 2010 Hollywood World Premiere
- Deleted scenes and bloopers
- Liner notes by acclaimed horror novelist John Skipp
- Extensive still galleries and theatrical trailer
- AND OTHER SURPRISES!