Welcome to the Vinegar Syndrome Staff Picks section, where we highlight our favorite releases from the many other fine labels releasing films on home video. This section, which will be updated semi regularly, features an array of crucial genre films, which no home library should be without.
In the enthralling Blow Out, brilliantly crafted by Brian De Palma, John Travolta gives one of his greatest performances as Jack, a movie sound-effects man who believes he has accidentally recorded a political assassination. He enlists the help of Sally (Nancy Allen), a possible eyewitness to the crime who may be in danger herself, to uncover the truth. With its jolting stylistic flourishes, intricate plot, profoundly felt characterizations, and gritty evocation of early-1980s Philadelphia, Blow Out is an American paranoia thriller unlike any other, as well as a devilish reflection on the act of moviemaking.
- New, restored digital transfer, supervised by director Brian De Palma (with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
- New hour-long interview with De Palma, conducted by filmmaker Noah Baumbach
- New interview with star Nancy Allen
- Cameraman Garrett Brown on the Steadicam shots featured in the film within the film
- Select on-set photos from photographer Louis Goldman
- Original theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Michael Sragow and Pauline Kael’s original New Yorker review